Tuesday 3 April 2018

Review: Pepper Winters "The Boy and his Ribbon (The Ribbon Duet # 1)."

Amazon.com:   https://amzn.to/2uKa88M
Amazon UK:    https://amzn.to/2JhwYIa 

Synopsis:

“What do you do when you meet your soul mate? No wait…that’s too easy. What do you do when you meet your soul mate and have to spend a lifetime loving him in secret? 
I’ll tell you what you do.
You lie.”

REN

Ren was eight when he learned that love doesn’t exist—that the one person who was supposed to adore him only cared how much he was worth. 
His mother sold him and for two years, he lived in terror.
But then…he ran.
He thought he’d run on his own. Turned out, he took something of theirs by accident and it became the one thing he never wanted and the only thing he ever needed. 

DELLA

I was young when I fell in love with him, when he switched from my world to my everything. 
My parents bought him for cheap labour, just like they had with many other kids, and he had the scars to prove it. 
At the start, he hated me, and I could understand why.
For years he was my worst enemy, fiercest protector, and dearest friend.
But by the end…he loved me.
The only problem was, he loved me in an entirely different way to the way I loved him.
And slowly, my secret drove us apart.

Review: Surj

I have just finished reading Pepper Winters "The Boy and His Ribbon"  and my heart is fit to burst with so many mixed emotions. This story was hauntingly beautiful, devastatingly tragic and just so so heart wrenchingly perfect in every way possible. It was everything I’d been looking for in my next read but didn’t quite know it. The story was different to what this author normally writes. Actually, it was different to anything I’ve ever read before and these days that's a rarity. Looking for a book that's different is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I got lucky because I found the needle and I am so so grateful. There was no rehashing of an old trope. There was no sense of familiarity to the Ren and Della's story. It was all refreshingly new and so unpredictable. It was difficult not to love it!!!

I destroyed everything. I was the idiot who took paradise and tore it to pieces.

For me, "The Boy and his Ribbon" was predominantly a coming of age story that had a real sense of nostalgia to it. What made it all the more special was the way in which it was told. The words used were laced with a sense of need to get this story told, whether that be the good, the bad or even the damn right ugly which was often painful to read. It was like the characters were purging themselves for what they believed to be their sins. There was so much raw emotion, grit and brutal honesty, the characters pouring their hearts and souls into the tale they had to tell and I felt every last bit of it. 

"He breaks your heart every damn time because he's everything you could ever
want snd he's everything you'll never have because Ren is wild. He's untouchable.
And the knowledge that'll always be that way tears off a piece of your soul, letting 
him steal it. He pockets it like his secrets, and he carves a hole inside of you
until you ace for one tiny piece of his in return."

So I'm one of those people that's always a bit dubious about early reviews these days, especially before a book is released because they always seem to lean towards a five star rating. Surely a book can’t be liked that much by every single early reader right? (Or maybe that's just me lol). But "The Boy and his Ribbon" really does deserve all the 5 stars, all the accolades and all the praise it's already receiving. Ren and Della are characters that will stay with me for a long time. Their story was one of survival and sacrifice. It was one of love, lust and lies and oh how it shattered my heart into a million pieces. I think what also made this so utterly compelling was the fact that I found myself being able to relate to the characters on such a visceral level. I'd felt so much of what they found themselves going through. I'd walked in their shoes in years gone by and when you find a connection like that with characters, it's impossible to walk away because you need to know how it all ends. 

I'm living proof that a heart can be broken a thousand times 
and still function, still keep you alive- desperately hoping that it 
won't happen again, all the while knowing it will. 

I know I've been somewhat vague in my review but trust me, you need to go into this book blind. All In can say is, be prepared for originality and be prepared to be blown away in this tortured tale of unrequited love. 

"The Boy and his Ribbon" gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️



Review: Jo 

Wow! I am amazed by Pepper Winters brilliant imagination. This fantastic author has ability to create such wonderfully unique and captivating stories. "The Boy and His Ribbon" was so different to anything that I've previously read and I loved that Pepper decided to take a break away from the dark romance to write a novel that mesmerised me with every chapter. It was an epic journey of secrets, survival and unrequited love . A coming of age story with a hint of taboo, and the best part is that it's not yet over. I'm left desperately needing to know whats next for Ren and Della. 

"She was my one weakness, 
and I was determined to stay immune to her for her own protection." 

This enchanting story was unlike anything I have ever read before. A story that spanned many years and saw the relationship of Ren, a young boy with an old soul and Della, a girl that I watched grow from a cute little toddler to a strong young woman who knew just what she wanted in her life. The story was one that at times seemed a little bit unrealistic, but it's a work of fiction and there are so many things an author can get away with when the novel is so good. Once I became lost in the story moments that seemed so unbelievable were quickly forgotten about and overlooked. Nothing about this book was predictable, I hadn't a clue what was coming next for Ren and Della and I gave up trying to guess quite early on in the story. Every turn of the page was a complete surprise and I loved that Pepper was able to do that. As I tore through the pages I was transfixed with what I was reading, feeling so many different emotions, especially in those final few chapters. The last part of the story had me gripped, my hope dying a little bit more with every word. My heart sank for how things were coming to an end and how I wished I could change things up for Ren and Della. The conclusion to this duet can not come quick enough for me. 

"...I will always love Ren. I will always be in love with Ren. 
And I also know I will never have him." 

"The Boy and His Ribbon" cannot get anything less than ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️  from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment