Thursday 7 September 2017

Review: Carian Cole's "Torn (Devil's Wolves #1)."


Synopsis: 

He’s loved me since the day I was born. 
He’s taken care of me. 
He’s awakened me. 

Tor. My father’s best friend. 
Fifteen years older than me, he’s always been my protector. 
The one I should never, ever want. 
But I was born to be his. 

She’s always loved me. 
She’s shattered me. 
She’s healed me.

Kenzi. My best friend’s daughter. 
I held her the day she was born, and I never let go. 
She’s forbidden to me. But she’s the only one that really gets me. 
We’re slowly being torn apart by everything we love. 
Everything we want. 
Everything we desire. 

And now I want the one thing I can’t have... I want her.

Review: Jo 

"One forbidden touch, one taboo kiss, and we destroyed who we were." 

It's not very often that I recommend a reader to check out the synopsis before reading a book, but with "Torn" it is an absolute MUST! I always prefer to go in blind with my books, so I was not prepared for the taboo element in this novel. I usually enjoy a tale of forbidden love, however this novel pushed my comfort zone to the maximum and it took me a while before I became invested in Tor and Kenzi's story. Even then I found it difficult to shake off the uncomfortable feeling that refused to leave me. 

"I have no past without him, and no future without him. 
Quite simply, he is my world." 

Despite my apprehension about Tor and Kenzi's love, I decided to continue as I thought that the story was well written and I was intrigued to see it play out. Tor and Kenzi had known each other since Kenzi was born. Tor was the best friend of Kenzi's parents so he was always around to watch her grow up. The story begins when kenzi was seventeen and Tor was in his thirties. This is when the pair's feelings for each other began to grow into something more and the forbidden tale began. I didn't mind the age gap between Tor and Kenzi and I didn't find any issue with Tor being a close family friend, it was the fact that Tor was Kenzi's godfather which for me, pushed the boundaries a little too far. It made me feel all kinds of awkward. At least nothing happened between the pair until Kenzi was eighteen, otherwise the story would have crossed the line for me. Kenzi was then an adult and able to make her own choices. 

"I'm not sure which one of us moved or if we moved at the same time. 
All I know is I don't want to ever move again." 

I did really like the characters, especially Tor. He was such a kind and caring man, with a passion for rescuing abandoned animals, he made it impossible not to fall for him. Tor truly wanted the best for Kenzi and I had no doubt that he loved her with all of his heart. Kenzi was extremely mature for her age and wanted nothing more than to settle down and have children, which is exactly what Tor wanted. They were both on the same page and with the deep connection that Tor and Kenzi shared, it seemed like they were meant for each other. 

"...I can feel without a shadow of a doubt our bodies and hearts were made to be together, 
like scattered puzzle pieces needing to be put back together." 

If you can see past the taboo factor, Tor and Kenzi's story did turn out to be a sweet romance that I enjoyed. At some point, I would like to read the other books from this series, but this one can also be read as a standalone, if a series is not for you. 

"All that matters is you are my forever. You always have been. You always will be." 

"Torn (Devil's Wolves #1)" gets 4 hearts from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment