Thursday 23 March 2017

Review Blitz: Collection of short stories from Aleatha Romig's "Infidelity World" series.

The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog is pleased to be a part of the Review Blitz for the collection of stories that have been released as part of Aleatha Romig's "Infidelity World" series. 

Series Synopsis:

The Infidelity Corporation will broker relationships—for a price. Their clients are exclusive and successful, their employees confidential and classified. Infidelity ensures that CEOs, politicians, and high-profile artists find love, with their friends and relatives none the wiser about how the happy couple met. But twists and turns abound in a world where old money, new money, and no money clash, from West Coast to East Coast and beyond. Enter Infidelity’s world of entrapment, betrayal, and deceit, where you decide whose relationship is real and whose is just an agreement.

Ted Persinger: "Manor."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2nLFRlR

Synopsis:

A woman's heart can break the shackles of servitude. 

In antebellum Savannah, young Sarah Montague inherits control of a manor and plantation after her husband is commissioned in the Confederate army and leaves to prosecute the war. She is faced with decisions she never could have imagined. But her troubles multiply when the Union army first burns nearby Atlanta to the ground and then occupies Savannah. Sarah has to overcome trials she was never prepared for as her husband fails to return when the city is besieged, and she’s required to quarter a Union general, an intimidating man with dark secrets.

Is Sarah strong enough, or will these forces break her? As her new country disintegrates, she must do what is right for her and those she loves. Will she have the strength to persevere and the will to resist the handsome general?

Manor explores the choices and fortunes Sarah must overcome. It is a novella in the Infidelity Kindle World of Aleatha Romig, and is a prequel to that series.

Review: Surj 

For someone who claims not to have a penchant for historical novels, I sure as hell struggled to put Ted Persinger's "Manor" down. This was a prequel to the "Infidelity" series and transported me back to the American civil war  in the 1800's. I loved the feel of the story. It reminded me of the film "Gone with the Wind" and the series "North and South" both of which are up there in my all time favourite lists. 

"Manor" told the story of one woman's strength and fighting spirit in times of adversity. It showed the struggles and hardship she faced when the world around her was crumbling and it showed her bravery and courage when fighting for those less fortunate then herself. There were so many instances that I could see where history had repeated itself in Charlie and Nox's story and it seemed to all stem for the curse of that darn Montatgue Manor, lol. Oh and don't worry, for you us hopeless romantics, there is an element of romance that filters through the story that will have your heart skipping and a jumping. 

For such a short novella, "The Manor" definitely packed quite the punch. Even if you don't think you're a fan of historical stories, I would definitely suggest you read this one. It won't take up much of your time as it is short but I'm sure you will love it. 

I rated "Manor" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

A.D Ellis: Devoted 

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2mTfYLC

Synopsis:

Adam & Kyle: Something About Him 

Kyle Matthews and Adam Jeffries have a terrific relationship, fabulous friends, and plans for the perfect wedding and honeymoon. 

When their plans are derailed, a mysterious stranger comes to their rescue. Yet even with their honeymoon back on track, Kyle and Adam face doubts, hostility, and opposition. 

Is their mutual devotion strong enough to save their marriage? Or will the bitter malice awaiting them be the beginning of the end?

Review:

"Devoted" was a m/m romance that told the story of Kyle and Adam, two love birds who were getting ready to tie the knot and live "happily ever after." Of course their journey to finding their perfect fairytale ending wasn't without its hurdles and everything that could go wrong, did. Lucky for them, they had some good people on their side. 

Kyle and Adams story was sweet, it was cute and it was kinda hot too. I will put my hands up and say, for the first 40% or so of the book, I did find myself wondering where this couple's story fit into the "Infidelity" world but fear not my lovelies, because things suddenly became clear with the appearance of a couple of characters I'd grown to know and love from original series.

This was a short and sweet romance that I rated ❤️❤️❤️❤️ 


Donya Lynne's "Suspicion."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2nqvL8J

Synopsis:

Some poker faces are prettier than others.

My name is Max.

I’m a con man. A good one, too. One of the best.

But I’m tired of looking over my shoulder, waiting for my luck to run out. So I’m making a career change into the world of professional poker. Which is why I’m in Vegas. There’s a huge Texas Hold’em tournament at the Rio, and I’m going to win it.

My best friend and business partner, Shaun, isn’t happy with my decision to go legit. He says he brought me into the con game and that I owe him. He’s even willing to blackmail me to keep me under his thumb.

I don’t respond well to blackmail, so this isn’t going to work out the way Shaun wants.

Then there’s the girl. Disarming eyes, innocent smile, long legs. Nash came out of nowhere and filled a void in my unworthy heart I only recently realized existed. She’s trying to make a fresh start, too. Maybe together, she and I can create a new beginning and leave our crap pasts behind.

I’ll admit I’ve fallen hard for this girl.

Harder than I’ve ever fallen, and probably harder than I should have.

Because I, more than anyone, should know how easy it is to fall for a con.

Review:

I'm not a big fan of "instalove" romances but I absolutely loved Donya Lynne's "Suspicion." It was a fast paced thrill of a ride that had me clawing at the pages to see how it would all end. The twists and turns had me engaged 110% and honestly, I could not have predicted the turn of events that unfolded before my very eyes.

The link to Aleatha Romig's "Infidelity" series was two fold and it was brilliant. Firstly there was the hero (or anti hero so to speak) who we were first introduced to way back when in "Betrayal." he was the guy that was chatting up Charlie at Del Mar before Nox jumped in and pretended to be her husband. The second link... well I'm going to leave that for you to uncover but trust me, you will love it.

I absolutely loved Max and Nash (our leading lady). Their connection may have developed quickly but for some reason it didn't feel that way to me. For me, what developed between the pair was believable and it did feel realistic.

"Suspicion" was a brilliant drama filled ride of a read that I rated ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️



D.D Lorenzo's "Indiscretion."



Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2nqdlFd

Synopsis:

When nothing is as it appears 

Love is dispensable; companionship is critical.

Some words of wisdom that my father imparted to me. I never gave much thought to either. My only desire was to be my father’s well-bred heir. A true Southern gentleman who took what he wanted and paved the road to success with the spoils. 

Hiding behind the curtain of gentility, I perfected my role. 

Until desire tore it in two and I was left with the tattered remains. 

Review: 

I haven't been reading the synopsis for any of the short stories in this collection, going in blind so to speak, but  loving the element of surprise when finding the link to the "Infidelity" series. Well let me tell you,  no book has filled me with glee when uncovering the link than this one. "Indiscretion" was Patrick's back story, yes Patrick, Alex's wonderful, thoughtful cousin who I fell completely in love with when I met him way back when. His story took me back to his high school years where I was given an insight into the inner conflict and uphill struggle Patrick faced not only trying to fit in to what people perceived as the "norm" but also trying to live up to the expectations placed upon him by his family, whilst all the while trying to hide the person he really was. 

"Indiscretion" was by no means an easy read, in fact more often than not it was heart breaking and soul destroying. Even when Patrick thought he was finally able to be himself, be open about his sexuality and maybe even find love, that came with its own challenges and with every two steps he took forward, it appeared that there were always ten steps back. 

My favourite part of the book has got to be the final few pages. Despite the angst and emotional rollercoaster I experienced through most of "Indiscretion," I did turn the final page with a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart and a huge grin on my face because I knew exactly where this story would end up. 

This one gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Lulu Astor's "Illegitimate."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2mTgQ39

Synopsis:

Meet the new boss… 

Luca Costello, heir apparent to the New York Costello organized-crime family, is a man committed to sin, both professionally and personally. He takes no prisoners and expects no quarter.

Gabriella Buchanan, a beautiful and determined Chicago attorney with family ties to Brooklyn is on her way up when her path accidentally crosses with this son of a major New York crime boss. One look at the sexy, sloe-eyed Luca and she is instantly conflicted. She’s never been so attracted to any man before but they’re on different sides of a dividing line: the law.

For Luca, it’s simple. He can take what he wants and what he wants is Gabriella. In a universe of what-ifs, one thing is certain: Gabriella will prove to be either his saving grace or his fall from grace. The only question is which one it will be.

Review:

Lulu Astor's "Illegitimate" gave us a fantastic, thrill a minute mob romance and this time it was the turn of Nox's cousin Luca to get his story told. This had all the elements we've grown to know and love from a mafia story. From that feeling of impending danger and doom that was a constant, to the double crossings, lies, betrayal and deceit, oh and not forgetting the swoon worthy romance, this really was an addictive read. 

Despite being a novella, this book did span a few weeks but not once did I feel the book was rushed or the romance element forced. In fact what developed between luca and Gabrielle was beautiful and kinda hot. 

Luca's character was one I rooted for throughout this book. I loved the way each of his chapters started and because of that, I really wanted him to get the girl. Of course I already knew that there was going to be all kinds of turbulence ahead but I didn't care. Gabrielle was a perfect match for Luca. She was his equal and these two belonged together. 


I absolutely loved the way "Illegitimate" ended. It was just perfect and left me feeling completely satisfied with all of the turn of events. This one gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


T.C Winters: Inheritance

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2mTlpdw

Synopsis:

Every stroke of the brush creates an illusion. 

Renowned artist Dante Costello's carefree lifestyle is shattered by his father's brutal murder. Although is mafia family is suspect, when he confronts the person he believes is responsible, the man is executed right before his eyes.

In a bizarre twist, his younger sister is arrested for their father's murder, and Dante is ordered to locate a priceless stolen painting to exonerate her.

During his search, Dante investigates the family business and is devastated to discover his father's legitimate lifestyle was only an illusion.

As the hunt turns deadly, Dante must race against time to protect everyone he loves.

Review:

Ok so I'll be honest, T.C Winters "Inheritance" has left me a little conflicted. This book was definitely a story of two halves. The main plot revolved was fantastic and revolved around the mafia and murder. The "who done it" element that ran through the core of this story was brilliant, the mystery and suspense along with the twists and turns really making for edge of the seat reading. I loved that so many characters from the Infidelity series made an appearance. Nox, Oren, Luca and Deloris all made vital parts in how this story played out. 

What didn't work for me with the romance element.  It didn't feel realistic but more forced if anything. I felt Elena constantly compromised her position and the safety of those she was supposed to be protecting and I just didn't feel the connection between the couple. The chemistry and the heat unfortunately fell short for me on this occasion. 

Had Dante's story remained more of a thriller/ mob story, I would have been as happy as a pig in muck. 

I rated "Inheritance" ❤️❤️❤️❤️


Jillian Jacob's "Insider."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2mT8Jn3

Synopsis:

Within the lens, everything is picture perfect… Or is it? 

Stepping through Infidelity’s doors binds all who enter to the strictest secrecy. Even insiders have secrets they must keep, and the consequences for betraying that bond are dire. 

Infidelity insider Imina Lesedi is forbidden to share her employer’s secrets—and her own. Only one man understands the delicate nature of working for a company that provides companionship for the elite, but his social and financial status make him unattainable, even though Imina craves a visit to his darkroom.

Award winning photographer Aiden Maxfield views life from behind the camera. A charmer by nature, he relishes the moments he makes the elusive Imina smile—but he would much rather picture the exotic beauty on his rumpled sheets. 

When the two are trapped together, the enticement proves too strong to resist. Raw passions are exposed, and their years of denial culminate in an insatiable desire for more. 

But not everyone celebrates their newfound bliss. A malicious foe is threatened by Imina’s knowledge of a dark secret from their shared past. When that truth is exposed, Imina and Aiden must fight for their love before it becomes shuttered by lies, deception—and Infidelity. 

Review:

Jillian Jacob's "Insider" took us on a journey to the dark side of 'Infidelity Corporation." And when I say "dark side," I don't mean that in a sexy, naughty, tie me up in handcuffs kind of way. Aiden and Imina's story focused on what happens when things go horribly wrong in the world of Infidelity and the consequences and repercussions of keeping secrets. In part, this was definitely not an easy read due to the seriousness of the subject matters covered. However this author managed to balance that out with some pretty hot romance between our hero and heroine. 

Imina and Aiden were explosive right from the get go, but with Imina fighting the connection and insistent that it couldn't possibly go anywhere, this really was an enthralling read. Imina's character was different to what we are used to seeing in our heroines. She was the dominant one in the relationship and she was the one that was in control in and outside of the bedroom. Don't get me wrong, Aiden could absolutely hold his own but if there was one alpha in this relationship, it was definitely Imina. 

I loved taking a step behind the scenes of "Infidelity" and getting to know some of the other characters a little better. I would love for Karen to get her story told. It seems there is a lot she needs to share with readers and I would whole heartedly pick up her book. 

Another great addition to this series of novella's that I rated ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment