Thursday 17 November 2016

Review: Heidi McLaughlin's "Blow (Virtuous Paradox #1)."


Synopsis

Bodhi McKnight has always had everything handed to him on a silver platter: fame, success, money, girls. The raven-haired, blue-eyed hottie is the son of Hollywood A-listers, and when he’s asked to join the boy band Virtuous Paradox, his star shoots even higher. But so do expectations, leading Bodhi down a destructive path of addiction—until a drop-dead gorgeous guardian angel shows him her sizzling brand of tough love.

When Bodhi ends up in rehab, he doesn’t expect to meet someone as cool and down-to-earth as Kimberly Gordon. Although he’s enjoyed the company of beautiful, charming women before, none of them have tried to get to know the “real” Bodhi. But Kimberly isn’t fazed by his stardom. She’d rather go horseback riding, teach Bodhi to play guitar, or ask him about his feelings. Soon Bodhi realizes he’s fallen head over heels for her. He just hopes that he’s strong enough to protect what they have from all the pressures and temptations of the outside world.

Review: Jo

When I first read the synopsis of this book, I immediately thought that this would be one that I would love. The premise of the story kinda sounded like there was a bit of forbidden love about it and I am usually sucked in by those stories. As I progressed through the pages, disappointingly, I discovered that this story was lacking in the things that I had most wanted. I failed to feel any kind of anticipation or excitement at what was happening between the two main characters. Everything happened far too easily and quickly in my opinion which made Bodhi and Kimberly's relationship unrealistic given the challenges that I would have expecting them to face. I also have to say that I was horrified by the use of the word "Twat" for Kimberley's vagina. It completely grossed me out and I just couldn't understand why the author would use that terminology. 

Moving to the positives of the book; I found Bodhi and Kimberly to be likeable characters and I enjoyed the way the story played out in the end, especially the final few chapters where I was given a tiny bit of excitement. There was also a sweet epilogue to finish the story off. I am always a fan of epilogue's and this was one that made me happy. 

As you can see there were things that I enjoyed about this book, but there was also a lot of things that I didn't like. Despite this, I don't think that it was an overall bad read, it just was not the one for me, unfortunately.

I rated "Blow" 3 hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment